Manufacturing: The backbone of July 4th Weekend
As many of us begin the yearly tradition of packing into a car for a road trip to celebrate Independence Day this July 4th weekend, or as countless people flock to their local supermarkets to stock up on hamburgers, hot dogs, buns, drinks, ice, and decoration, and as fireworks stands pop up out on our nation’s highways servicing thousands, I am reminded of one thing this holiday: Manufacturing. On the road we see freight motor carriers filled with various manufacturers products. You see, in order to pull off a festive and memory filled July 4th topped off by the “Oohs and Aahs” of a fireworks show, all that stuff must be made by a manufacturer. Manufacturing is July 4th, and the backbone of the US Economy.
Importance of Manufacturing in an Economy
The importance of manufacturing in our country is often not considered by many as they sit down at the picnic table to their second cousin, enjoying Grandma’s famous potato salad. 30 years ago, many Americans did KNOW this fact, and it was instilled in their children. Today, as we move into a more service driven economy, it’s almost at times that manufacturing is seen as a forgotten art. So how can we bring more awareness to Manufacturing for all? How can we in the industry help? Well, in short, we must continue to educate ourselves every day using the countless resources available today, but we also must first understand WHY manufacturing is so important. In this way, we can bring solidarity to the movement in America already gaining steam of putting a better public relations image that Manufacturing is HOT, it’s COOL, but more importantly, it’s not your Grandmother’s factory, but a modern, high-tech environment with high paying careers.
Solidarity and Education in Manufacturing
In the spirit of solidarity, we would like to conduct a survey asking you to put in your own words why manufacturing is important to you and any economy. We will cover and feature the survey in a future blog post. This will allow us to then find commonalities and and understanding of the issues facing manufacturing today.
Next to the poll, please use the listed online resources to stay abreast of the manufacturing industry. I read these articles every day from these great blogs or news resources so I may always be remindedvof the importance of Manufacturing in our country. I feel with educating myself, I can have intelligent discussions and impart this knowledge on both my family and my employees. I hope you find them helpful.
Take the “Why is Manufacturing Important to Me and the Economy Survey Below”
Great Manufacturing Resources
- The Reshoring Initiative: The Reshoring Initiative helps companies make better sourcing decisions by providing: the Total Cost of Ownership Estimator™ for reevaluating offshore vs. local sourcing and siting; the Reshoring Library for seeing what and why competitors or customers have reshored; the Case Studies feature to report reshoring cases; data on what is being reshored from what countries to what states for what reasons; and economic development programs for states or regions to motivate reshoring.
- LNS Research: LNS Research provides advisory and benchmarking services to help Line-of-Business and IT executives make critical decisions. Our research focuses on providing insights into the metrics, leadership, business processes, and technology capabilities needed for achieving Operational Excellence.
- Apriso: Our mission is to provide a community forum to discuss various facets of today’s global manufacturing transformation. Supply chain complexity, technological advances, the pursuit of lower costs and ever increasing customer expectations has created a manufacturing revolution – comprising of both opportunities and threats.
Manufacturing Transformation is a place on the web where the Dassault Systèmes’ team of world-class manufacturing and supply chain operations experts and others can share perspectives, announcements, experiences and best practices.
- The Rodon Group: The Rodon Group is an ISO 9001:2008 certified, high volume (we’re talking millions!) plastic injection molder. In business since 1956, we make billions of parts each year in our 125,000 square foot facility. We offer a turnkey manufacturing solution including mold design, mold building and high volume parts manufacturing. Our globally competitive prices eliminate the risks of sourcing offshore.
- AMT (The Association of Manufacturing Technology) Online: AMT – The Association For Manufacturing Technology represents and promotes U.S.-based manufacturing technology and its members—those who design, build, sell, and service the continuously evolving technology that lies at the heart of manufacturing.
- Manufacturing.net: Delivers a global community the most up-to-date news, trends and opinions shaping the manufacturing landscape. Their dedicated editorial staff uses numerous industry resources to keep the site updated 24 hours-a-day with the latest and most relevant content on all the topics, critical issues and market sectors relevant to the manufacturing marketplace.
- IndustryWeek: Manufacturing Leadership Excellence – Connecting manufacturing business leaders to inspire action. IndustryWeek brings together manufacturing business leaders to explore the issues, strategies, trends, and technologies that help them build more competitive and profitable companies.
- AJ Sweatt: A passionate business speaker & writer. AJ’s specialties are trends in the business & manufacturing ecosystems, & he’ll inform, inspire, and make it special for your business team or event audience.
- Accelerated Buy Sell: The “Accelerated Group of Companies” provides tools and services to help manufacturers grow and exit strategies to maximize dollars when they are ready to retire or sell their manufacturing business.
- Shoopfloor from the National Association of Manufacturers: Shopfloor is the blog of the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM). Since its founding in November, 2004 Shopfloor has been a recognized resource for manufacturing advocacy on issues such as energy and labor policy, legal reform, trade and regulation.
- ThomasNet News Industry Market Trends Blog: News provided by ThomasNet News® (TNN). TNN is a comprehensive source of new and timely product information in the industrial marketplace. TNN supplies new product information to the web sites, e-marketplaces and print publications that serve the industrial marketplace.
- AmericanManufacturing.Org from The Alliance of American Manufacturers: The AAM blogs frequently about the importance of Made In USA an American Manufacturing. The Alliance for American Manufacturing is a non-profit, non-partisan partnership formed in 2007 by some of America’s leading manufacturers and the United Steelworkers to explore common solutions to challenging public policy topics such as job creation, infrastructure investment, international trade, and global competitiveness.
From everyone at Cerasis, we hope all of you remember the importance of Manufacturing in all of our lives this Independence Day! Happy July 4th! Feel free to leave any comments below on your further thoughts of Manufacturing.